|Asparagus Rice soup Recipes|
- 4 clove(s) garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/3 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cup(s) russet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 cup(s) leeks, chopped, 1/4 inch of white and all green parts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon(s) coarse sea salt or kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 pound(s) fresh asparagus, cut into 1/3-inch chunks, plus more spears for garnish
- 1 cup(s) Arborio rice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup(s) grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more to taste
- Sauté garlic with 1/3 cup olive oil in a heavy-bottomed, 6-quart pot over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until crusty but not browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add leeks and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 5 quarts water, bay leaves, and 1 tablespoon salt. Stir well, scraping potatoes from pot bottom. Cover, bring to a boil, and add cut asparagus. Lower heat to vigorous simmer and cook, uncovered, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until reduced by a third.
- Add rice, bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and season with pepper and more salt to taste. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 cup grated cheese. If desired, steam remaining asparagus and garnish. Serve hot.